I had a brunch with a friend not long ago and she was telling me how hard her week was and how tired she was chasing after her young kids all day, so when I said that I had a tough week myself she was surprised to hear that. She said "I don't believe that... you have grown kids. You have great kids".
Well, Yes technically I do have great kids. There intelligent, they care for each other, and generally responsible teenagers, a boy and a girl with a lot of charm and character.
BUT;
When my children were small I spend a lot of time dealing with the mess of their diapers, toys everywhere, lack of sleep, right now I'm dealing with a lot of deeper issues that requires a lot of maternal creativity, flexibility and tons of patience...
Broken hearts, broken promises, broken cellphones, just to name few of the drama in my house.
For me all this teens years it's a task it takes time, patience and infinite prayers. I believe that teens years are as or more important as tots years...when they were little is was easier to structure their lives according to mine, is not as easy anymore. In this high school years and university years I feel that I'm constantly worrying about something, the issues and problems they are facing are more complex and I like to believe that I was there for them to their new adjustments and the challenges.
I myself deal with a lot of changes in their ever complex world by trying to understand their feelings(when I don't) the hormone changes, moods, and of course dealing with more complicated issues like, curfew, choices of friends, devotions, spending time with us versus with friends(constant battles), dating, and everything that comes with it,drinking.
I want to connect with my children deeper and be there to understand their concerns, hopes and fears, and also lecturing them but not with superficial words or demands just with a lots of love, understanding and wisdom.
Everyday is a new day where we can make the most of it or not, I try to tech all my children this and to focus on what's most important in life. We need to focus on what's good and to honour God in everything we do...that's what I say to my children all the time. I'm grateful to have a wonderful family, and I know that even when my teen kids don't show emotions... they care that we're here for them and we love them unconditional and they appreciate that we installed in them value and morals that will carry them thru life.
I want them to grow closer to God and to strive for perfection in their relationship with Him and with my permission they can become Jesus Freaks(without making people think their weird).
I want to learn from all my children and to walk beside them quietly at times just to enjoy the good feeling of love and being loved.
What is your challenges that your facing raising your teen kids or what do you enjoy the most? Let's pray for each other and encourage each other!!!!
Be completely humbled and gentle, be patient and bearing one other in love. Ehp4:2
Magda xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment