Sunday, May 8, 2011

Re-thinking Mothers Day

Tell me if this happens at your house.You circle Mother's Day on the family calendar, you leave note with the URL for your favourite florist beside the bathroom sink along with the phone number just in case. You tell your children for weeks in advance that"mom special day" is coming and have them repeat the food that I like best.

Then MD comes. You still have to make breakfast like my youngest son said to me this morning, Happy Mother's Day Mom!and 3 minutes later "Mom I'm hungry"! Your flowers don't arrive, and your husband takes the family through the drive-thru for lunch or ask to some leftovers from last night. The result- you spend the day stewing and your family is miserable.

Maybe that's not how it works for you. Maybe you are one of the few who is celebrated exactly how you want to be each Mother's Day!But for most this holiday can often be a major disappointment.

And you know what our husbands and children aren't to be blame...

Thinking your the centre of the universe, even if it's only for a day, misses a major point-namely that you're not the centre of the universe. We're a part of a family, an important part, yes, but not so important that we've earned the right to demand adoration, affection, and one-day Get Out of the jail free card.

Here are some biblical truths that many of us, including me the most I need to be reminded on this day.

We are called to humble.

Matthew 23:12- "Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted"


Our role as a mother is not a burden, but a gift.

Psalms127:3-" Behold children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward". If your are blessed enough to have children, your gift has already been delivered.

Remember Whom we serve

I know my kids don't send Thank you notes very often, and my husband doesn't always notice all the things I do, But the truth is I don't work for my husband and my kids, I work in pleasing my Creator and His the one who fullfilled my needs in order to be a better mom and a better wife.

Colossians3:23-24 "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. Your serving the Lord Christ"

Serving your family is an important job, most of the time subestimed but is a way to demonstrated Christ to them and the outside world, where a lot of family are crumbling because they don't know how to serve each other. Psalm100:2 urges us to "serve the Lord with gladness". Losing sight of this even for a day, won't make for a happy heart or a happy family.


I want to say sincerely thank you to all my friends that over the years thought me so much about parenting and for being great moms. Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting require to teach your kids about Jesus, thanks for being great friends and good example to my children, and for parenting tips according to God's plan.

As for me I thank the Lord for His help in trying to model my life before my children even when I don't feel like, and for the practical ways to live like is not about me, so that the children knows it's all about Him. Today I tried to remember myself that I don't need to be glorified but to bring glory to our Saviour!

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment


My beautiful front yard


Cookies and milk