Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Be a lover of Hospitality

Be a lover of hospitality,a lover of good men,sober,just,holy,temperate.Titus1:8

I have always been a lover of hospitality-Ive had parties and get together with my friends for any possible reason to celebrate.
Over the years Ive collected decoration and centerpieces for every season and have know where they were for display at the right time. As my children grew up,they become lovers of hospitality also.We have had extra people living with us at times,and all the time more people at our table then my family.
We move,more then average people but is nothing that brings me more joy then to start all over again with a house,even a temporary one.Looking back the Lord really had a sense of humor to take a person who had spend her life in nice home and then plunk her into a abandoned bungalow(guest home).Hadn't He promised me an abundant,not abandoned life.When we build our home we end up not once but twice to live in this place(very thankful for friends) but nothing that i tough I would ever do.
Oh,what a lesson the Lord had in mind for me!He had to teach me that it wasn't the surroundings but the spirit that made for genuine hospitality. As a family we crowded into those small rooms,with the small kitchen and we knew that the Lord filled our family reservoirs with rich experience.
Could I ever entertain in a small Bungalow one..yes I could and I did. Hospitality doesn't depend on size of your home but on the spirit of your heart.In fact the dictionary says hospitality is the spirit of being hospitable which is behaving in a kind and generous manner towards guests fond of entertaining.
Much to my surprise I found few people had anybody in for any kind of reasons.
Why should Christian entertain.The bible tells us to use hospitality one to another without grudging(1Peter4:9)Peter tells us to open our homes without complaining.How often I hear a women bemoaning the fact that she has to have some people over.There so many excuses to use,when we don't entertain more often.

My house is too small.How big are your guests, you only need a average chair size.I guess many of us been using that as a excuse, and then you figure it that you dont need a big house to have company.

My house is not decorated yet.I have one friend who told me for ten years shed have over when she got the house done.Once I arrived to deliver something to her and she kept me out on the front step because the house wasn't ready.I really expected someday that the great unveiling would come but she moved before that happened.

I'm not a good cook,i don't like cooking...Now theres a real excuse or is it, there is no much out there if you want to start cooking, cooking classes, beautiful cooking books, the recipe that you find in every magazine,or the thirty minutes meals cookbook.
One evening I was served an excellent creamed chicken on a flaky pastry shell and when I complimented the hostess she said..I am not really a good cook but I don't let that keep me from not have friends over.I bought a few pouches of cream chicken and heated up the frozen shells.Most people seem to like this.

I don't have time.If this is a valid excuse,but you might find sometime after church,or an a Friday or Saturday evening.Or all your girlfriends for lunch,or you can host a dessert night,or a game night.

People don't ask us back.Join the club!In my social days I used keep a record,but one day I was reading article that said that Christian hospitality is what you find in Luke14:12-14 ....When you put on a dinner,he said don't invite friend,brothers, relatives and rich neighbors.For they will return the blind.Then at the resurrection of the godly,God will reward you for inviting those who cant repay you.From theses verses I learned that i was to be a lover of hospitality without ever expecting anything in return.

Sometimes when we entertain we have to do all the work and it seems overwhelming.
How can we make entertain fun.First decide what type of entertaining you want to do.if your inexperienced or unsure of yourself don't start with an elegant dinner party for twelve.

What are different possibilities:

Instead for a sit down dinner where you may feel like a glorified waitress you could try a buffet supper where the food is prepared, laid out on a buffet table, and guests serve themselves. They can sit a the table, or any available chair or couch.
The potluck can be served as the buffet but the guests bring a least of the food.
Coffee and teas are about the simplest type of entertaining you can do and often the most fun for all because you are relaxed.In these hurried days where few entertain formally, and invitation for a coffee is welcomed.If you have some cookies or a muffin bring those out, but a sociable hour around a cup of coffee can be a blessed time of sharing.

If you are a lover of hospitality or if your about to become one,and your wiling to prepare a table for others, you will delight the Lord and your guests.
Please share whats your favourite way of entertain.

1 comment:

  1. After the draw, 카지노사이트 the machine pays out if the hand or hands performed match one of many profitable mixtures, that are posted in the pay desk

    ReplyDelete


My beautiful front yard


Cookies and milk